Blemishes are skin discoloration or dark spots that are usually caused by a breakout of acne or clogging up of skin pores. They appear mostly on your face (usually on the forehead, nose, and chin), neck, upper arms, and back. Large pores can also pop up on your face and make blemishes pronounced, irrespective of how much you take care of your face. Follow these tips to take care blemishes, if they bother you.
What causes blemishes on face?
There are a number of things that can cause skin melasma, although doctors are yet to find a definitive cause.
- Hormonal Imbalances. This is more associated with women than men. Pregnant women taking hormone therapy replacement or birth control are more susceptible of having blemishes.
- Sun Exposure. Some drugs, when taken, make the skin more sensitive to sun rays, and cause the skin to have blemishes.
- Scented Soaps and Deodorant. These products can irritate the skin, make it more sensitive to the sun and cause blemishes.
Home remedies for clear and blemish free skin
1Lighten blemished areas of your skin with lemon juice:
Lemon juice can lighten dark spots and blemishes on the skin caused by hyper pigmentation. It also contains citric acid which prevents acne.
- Rub fresh lemon on your skin. Allow it to remain for about 15 to 20 minutes before you rinse it off. Do this for every day for one month.
- Rub a mixture of one-quarter teaspoon each of lemon juice and organic honey on your skin and leave on for 20 minutes. Repeat few times a week until you notice improvements.
- Mix equal amounts of lemon juice and tomato juice together with one tablespoon of oatmeal, for extra exfoliation. Apply this to the blemish. Leave on for 15 minute and then rinse. Repeat three or four times a week.
Precautions: Avoid applying lemon juice to open wounds. Don’t step out in the sun after applying lemon juice to your skin. It will cause sunburn and increase your blemishes.
2Remove skin blemishes with potatoes:
Potato juice contains catecholase, an enzyme which clears blemishes around the eyes and reduces pigmentation.
- Extract the juice from the potato using a grater and a fine sieve cloth.
- Apply juice to your face using a cotton.
- Leave on your skin for 15 to 20 minutes, then wash off.
- Repeat daily till blemish is totally gone.
3Make your skin glow with tomatoes:
Tomato pulp is rich in antioxidants, vitamins A, C, and K which removes dead skin cells. This prevents formation of acne, pimples, blackheads or whiteheads on your skin.
- Mash tomatoes to a pulp and add honey to it.
- Apply the mixture to your skin and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse first with warm water and then cold water.
- Moisturize your skin.
- Repeat daily till blemishes are gone.
4Brighten your skin using orange peels:
Orange peel contains lots of vitamin C, much more than orange pulp does. It contains other phytonutrients, which helps make the skin brighter and radiant. It also contains calcium which renews skin cells.
- Add one teaspoon each of organic honey and plain yogurt to two teaspoons of orange peel powder.
- Mix together and apply the paste to your skin.
- Allow it to settle for 15 minutes, then rinse off.
- Repeat twice or thrice weekly till you get desired results.
You can buy orange peel powder from health food stores or make it by grinding sun-dried orange peels into a fine powder.
5Remove blemishes with aloe vera:
Aloe vera effectively removes blemishes caused by hyper pigmentation. It has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which slough away dead skin cells and regenerates new ones, leaving your skin hydrated and refreshed.
- Extract the gel from aloe vera leaves and apply to your skin. Allow it to dry completely before washing it off. Do this every day for about a month.
- Mix two tablespoons of aloe vera gel and one teaspoon each of lemon juice and sugar. Apply mixture to your skin and leave on for 15 minutes before rinsing it off. Repeat twice or thrice weekly until blemishes are gone.
Extra Tip: You can apply just aloe vera gel alone to your face to remove blemishes and make it glow.
6Remove blemishes with Fuller’s earth:
Known as multani mitti, Fuller’s earth is good at removing dead skin cells and blemishes. It absorbs excess oil and gives the skin a lightening effect.
- Make a paste by adding enough rose water, lemon juice or just ordinary water to two tablespoons of Fuller’s earth.
- Apply the paste to your skin and leave on for 15 minutes before washing off.
- Repeat twice or thrice a week till you get desired results.
7Apply almond-milk face pack to remove blemishes:
Almonds contain vitamins A and E, which are good at cleansing the skin and keeping it hydrated. It also contains fatty, lactic and hydroxyl acids which moisturizes the skin deeply and washes away dead skin cells. It also hydrates your skin and makes it free of discoloration and pigmentation.
- Peel and grind almonds which have been soaked in water for 10-12 hours
- Add a little milk to make a paste
- Rub the almond-milk paste on the blemishes
- Allow it to sit for about 30 minutes and wash it off with water
- Repeat daily. Blemishes will be gone in 15 days
8Lighten blemishes with apple cider vinegar:
Rich in alpha hydroxy acids, apple cider vinegar balances the skin’s PH level, lightens dark spots and eradicates blemishes. It also opens clogged pores and combats acnes.
- Mix organic apple cider vinegar and water in a ratio of 3 to 1.
- Rub the solution on blemish.
- Allow it on for 15 minutes and then rinse off.
- Repeat twice or thrice daily till blemish is gone.
9Remove blemishes with strawberries:
Strawberries contain powerful antioxidants which refresh skin collagens. Collagens heal blemishes by removing free radicals in the body. Strawberries also contain folic and ellagic acids which promotes cell regeneration and removes dark spots respectively.
- Mash the strawberries and add vinegar to make a paste.
- Apply the mixture to your face.
- Allow it on for 1-2 hours.
- Wash off in the morning.
- Repeat every night until blemishes are gone.
10Clear blemishes with bananas:
Bananas and banana peels can lessen pimples inflammation via its anti-inflammatory powers. They also contain potassium and antioxidants which help remove blemishes.
- Rub the inside of a ripe banana peel on the blemish for about ten minutes.
- Leave the peel in place for as long as possible. It’s not necessary to rinse with water.
- Repeat thrice daily till blemishes are gone.
How to prevent blemishes on your face?
It is always better to prevent blemishes on the face than to get rid of them. To do this, you need to develop some habits. Ensure you cleanse tone and moisturize your skin in the morning and at night every day. Here are more tips on preventing blemishes.
- Use gentle products on your skin always. Opt for natural skin care products if possible.
- Always clean your face with water before using cosmetics.
- Use a deep moisturizing cream if you have dry skin.
- Tone and exfoliate your skin every day if you have an oily skin. You can read here how to make a face mask for oily skin.
- Use a face mask at least once a week.
- Don’t go to bed with makeup on.
- If you have very dry skin, exfoliate it at most once a week with gentle, natural exfoliating scrubs. Learn how to make a homemade face mask for dry skin.
- Keep your skin hydrated. Drink lots of water.
- Always eat a balanced diet.
- Always use sunscreen when going out in the sun.