The right hairstyle can flatter your facial features and make you feel confident. Similar to make-up tricks and outfit hacks, there are hairstyles that can create an illusion and make you look a couple pounds thinner. You’ll find that the hairstyles mentioned below are highly recommended by stylists, all fashionable, easy to replicate for everyday look or for special occasions, and frames your face to highlight your strong features and for slimmer look. If you need an instant makeover then take a look at these 10 medium length hairstyles that will make your face look slimmer – sans the diet!
1. Layered Lob – Avoid straight hairstyles, instead ask you stylist to add layers to frame your face. Have your hair cut just right at the shoulder length or above the chest line. The layers will add movement and volume, and can help flatter strong features like your eyes and cheeks.
2. Wispy Bangs – Blunt bangs will only make your face look rounder.But if you want bangs, many stylists recommend wispy bangs in front, and longer ones at the side for that slimmer look. From there, you can either wear your hair down or tie it on a ponytail.
3. Korean Updo – Bring the attention upward with a high top knot. But how do you create a top bun with medium length hair? If your hair is long enough to tie a high ponytail, you can form a top bun with the ends by combing it down to add volume. If you feel it’s still lacking, you can one of the hairbun donuts used to create Korean updo.
4. Asymmetrical Medium Length Bob – If you have thin medium-length straight hair, this cut is one of the easiest to maintain. Ask your hairstylist to cut a bit shorter at the back, and longer in the front. A few inches below the nape at the back, and have it taper to longer length in front, just right above your neckline. Part hair in the middle and finish ends with layers or wisps.
5. Angled or Side Swept Bangs – Modern yet sexy, angled bangs works well for round face shapes and even for medium length hair in lob cut or with waves . Instead of straight bangs, have your stylist create angled bangs. These wisps or full bangs sweep from one side just right above or same level as your eyebrows, and then tapers to an angle to the other side of the face. For that perfect frame, have the angle line end at the ear line.
6. Beach Waves – Relaxed and natural looking, tousled beach waves on your hair spells out your carefree spirit. There are a lot of methods on how to achieve those beach curls, but the easiest one involves braiding freshly washed hair the night before. Apply serum, and braid sections of your hair. Sleep over it and in the morning, remove the braids and voila! You can recreate these fuss-free beach waves with medium length to long hair, and the smaller and tighter the braids, the more defined the curls will be. However, since we want to look slimmer, avoid having tight curls.
7. Romantic Braid and Wispy Bangs – Here comes sweet February and this braided updo looks perfect for your date night. Instead of a high updo, you can braid your hair at the back and create a low bun. Add loose locks of hair at the sides and wispy bangs to help frame your face.
8. Textured Lob – Even for medium-length hair, avoid the blunt bob as it will make your face look fuller. Have your stylist create a choppy look on your medium length hair, and add soft waves. Choose hairstyles that have texture and add illusion of movement on your hair. For textured hair color, ask your stylist for the right shade combination for your skin tone, and use that to add highlights and lowlights.
9. Side Swept Curls – Got curly hair or want to try a hairstyle with defined curls? No worries, take your inspiration from Alicia Keys orBeyoncé’s spiralcurls in medium length hair. Part it asymmetrical and sideways for classic glamorous look. For summer hairstyle, add ombre like from dark brunette to blonde waves at the bottom
10. Huge Updo with Headband – Going to a wedding as a bridesmaid and you’re required to keep your hair in an updo? If you have chubby or round face, avoid low buns. Instead you can divert the attention and elongate your face with a high huge updo. Either create a clean and high round bun, or a messy romantic bun. Accentuate with a thin headband, either a simple black, silver or studded one. Avoid placing the headband near your forehead, secure it around the crown of your head.